Broccoli Black Olive Pizza with Cherry Tomato Sauce wine pairing
What are we cooking today?
Pizza is a good way to trick yourself into feeling like its the weekend quick easy and fun. Also a great way to get any non veggie enthusiast to eat some good-for-you greens. This pizza has sweet cherry tomatoes as the basis for the sauce, and combines briny Kalamata olives with crunchy broccoli.
If your making a healthy pizza made with vegetables, you would want a nice wine that’s not going to compete with the mix of ingredients going on in a Vegetarian pizza.
What goes great with a vegetarian pizza is a nice Unoaked Chardonnay. That is a good place to start a tasty dinner. With its gentle notes of citrus and herbs, it complements the similar flavours of the vegetables perfectly. You can also use a nice Sauvignon Blanc, Prosecco, Fiano, Rosé.
What you don’t want to drink is a Deep, full-bodied reds like Shiraz, it will overpower the simple flavors of the veggies on the pizza.
Broccoli Black Olive Pizza with Cherry Tomato Sauce
- Rolling pin
- Box grater
- medium skillet
- rimmed baking sheet
- Crushed red pepper
- Kalamata olives
- Fresh mozzarella
- Broccoli crowns
- Can cherry tomatoes
- Pizza dough
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive oil
- Prep pizza dough: Preheat oven to 500°F (or highest setting) with rack in lowest position. Lightly oil a medium bowl and place dough into it to stand at room temperature. Lightly oil a rimmed baking sheet.
- Prep ingredients: Peel and finely chop 2 large cloves garlic. Thinly slice broccoli stems and coarsely chop florets. On a box grater, coarsely grate mozzarella and finely grate Parmesan. Coarsely chop olives.
- Make tomato sauce: In a medium skillet, cook garlic in 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat until softened, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and their juices to skillet along with ½ teaspoon sugar. Simmer until sauce is reduced to about ¾ cup of sauce, about 12 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook broccoli:Meanwhile, in a second medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Add broccoli along with a pinch each salt and pepper. Cook until crisp tender, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Wipe out skillet and reserve for step 6.
- Prep pizza: On a lightly floured surface, stretch or roll dough to ¾ size of the sheet (roughly 13” x 10”). If it resists and springs back, let rest for 5 minutes to allow for better stretching. Spoon tomato sauce on crust, leaving a ½-inch border. Top with broccoli, olives, mozzarella, and half of the Parmesan. Transfer sheet to bottom rack of oven.
- Make chili oil: Bake until cheese is bubbling and bottom crust is browned, 12–18 minutes. Meanwhile in reserved medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil with crushed red pepper over medium until just fragrant. Remove from heat; transfer to a small, heatproof bowl. Cut pizza into wedges. Garnish with remaining Parmesan and drizzle with as much chili oil as you’d like.