Spiced Chickpeas & Couscous Recipe with Turkish salad
What are we cooking today?
Spiced Chickpeas & Couscous Recipe: This Middle Eastern dish combines the bold flavors of ras al hanout-spiced chickpeas and couscous.
Ras el hanout or rass el hanout is a spice mix from North Africa. It plays a similar role in North African cuisine as garam masala does in Indian cuisine.
This Turkish salad, combines cooling, crunchy cucumbers, juicy tomatoes, and herbs. Spiced Chickpeas & Couscous served with savory, seasoned yogurt to layer under the couscous so you get a creamy addition to each bite.
Today’s quote of the day is by Jimmy Ray Dean. He was an American country music singer, television host, actor, and businessman, best known today as the creator of the Jimmy Dean sausage brand as well as its TV commercials’ drawling spokesman. He became a national television personality starting on CBS in 1957.
Spiced Chickpeas & Couscous Recipe with Turkish salad and Yogurt
- 8 oz plum tomatoes
- 3 oz cucumber
- 3 oz shallot
- 1 ⁄4 oz fresh parsley
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 ⁄2 oz red wine vinegar
- 41 ⁄4 oz couscous 1
- 11 ⁄4 tsp ras el hanout spice
- 5.3 oz non-fat Greek yogurt 2
- olive oil
- coarse kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- Prep ingredients: Trim tomatoes and cucumber and cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces. Trim shallot, then halve, peel, and thinly slice. Roughly chop parsley leaves and tender stems.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas. Pat very dry with a paper towel.
- Make salad: In a medium bowl, whisk vinegar, 3 tablespoons oil, and a pinch each salt and pepper. Add cucumber, tomato, and half of the shallot (save rest for step 3). Stir and set aside to marinate.
- Make couscous: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a small saucepan over medium-high. Add remaining shallot and cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add couscous and stir to coat. Add 2⁄3 cup water and 1⁄4 teaspoon salt. Cover, remove from heat, and let sit until grains are tender and water is absorbed, 5–7 minutes.
- Cook chickpeas: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over medium-high until shimmering; add chickpeas and 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until chickpeas are browned and slightly crisp, about 5 minutes. Add ras el hanout, and cook 30 seconds. Add 1⁄4 cup water and cook until sauce is nearly reduced, about 30 seconds.
- Make yogurt: Stir 1 tablespoon oil, 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, and a few generous grinds pepper into yogurt container (no need to dirty a bowl).
- Finish & serve: Fluff couscous with a fork, then add chickpeas to saucepan and stir. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add parsley to salad and season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon yogurt onto plates. Divide couscous between plates and top with salad and any leftover dressing. Drizzle with oil.
Subscribe To Recive Free Book
Join our mailing list to receive the latest recipes from our team.