Tortellini Minestrone: If you’re of the opinion that a bean and pasta soup doesn’t sound delicious then this recipe will make you reconsider. In each bowl you have tender cheese tortellini, a silky spinach, and a broth that is so rich you might not think you can afford it.
Prepare your ingredients:
The first thing we do is prep ingredients, preheat the oven to 350°F. Slice the baguette into 1⁄2- inch thick pieces, then tear into rough 1⁄4- inch croutons. Then we grate 2 large garlic cloves.
Time to make garlicky croutons:
On a rimmed baking sheet, you toss bread with one tablespoon of oil, and half of the thyme sprigs. Then add half of the grated garlic and season lightly with salt.
Bake the baguette croutons until toasted, stirring only once. It should only take about 15 minutes. Let cool, then pull crisp thyme leaves from stems and toss with the croutons.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, let’s heat 1 tablespoon oil with remaining thyme sprigs and grated garlic with a pinch crushed red pepper. Cook over medium-high until you can smell the aroma.
Add beans and their liquid with 3 cups water and add both packets of vegetable broth concentrate. Let it simmer over medium heat until slightly reduced, wait about 10 minutes and then stir in tortellini and cook until it’s just right, 3–4 minutes. Stir in spinach and cook just until wilted, about 1 minute.
Finish soup and serve:
Add grated Parmesan and stir half of it into soup. Grab a bowl of soup and top with remaining cheese and garlicky croutons. Add a little crushed red pepper if you are feeling adventurous and enjoy your Tortellini Minestrone with Spinach and Garlicky Crouton .
Tortellini Minestrone with Spinach and Garlicky Croutons
- 1 mini French baguette
- garlic use 2 large cloves
- 1 ⁄4 oz fresh thyme
- 1 ⁄4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 can beans
- 2 pkts vegetable broth concentrate
- 1 pkg cheese tortellini
- 3 oz baby spinach
- 3 ⁄4 oz Parmesan
- olive oil
- coarse kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- Prep ingredients: Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut roll into 1⁄2- inch thick slices, then tear into rough 1⁄4- inch pieces. Grate 2 large garlic cloves.
- Make garlicky croutons: On a rimmed baking sheet, toss bread with 1 tablespoon oil, 1⁄2 of the thyme sprigs, and half of the grated garlic. Season lightly with salt and bake until toasted, stirring once, about 15 minutes. Let cool, then pull crisp thyme leaves from stems and toss with croutons. Discard stems.
- Sauté aromatics: Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil with remaining thyme sprigs and grated garlic and a small pinch crushed red pepper. Cook over medium-high until garlic is beginning to brown, about 1 minute.
- Build soup: Add beans and their liquid, 3 cups water, both packets of vegetable broth concentrate, and 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Simmer over medium heat until slightly reduced, about 10 minutes.
- Finish soup: Stir in tortellini and cook until just tender, 3–4 minutes. Stir in spinach and cook just until wilted, about 1 minute.
- Finish & serve: Remove thyme sprigs. Grate Parmesan and stir half of it into soup. Ladle soup into bowls and top with remaining cheese and garlicky croutons. Garnish with remaining crushed red pepper if desired and serve immediately. Enjoy!