Sometimes it can be hard to get enough veggies into your diet. But this soup recipe will make that struggle a whole lot easier and tastier! This is an elevated take on a classic flavor broccoli cheddar combo. We add a creamy mascarpone and peas for extra creamy and veggie goodness. And you have an amazing healthy and tasty soup. Add a little Crunchy, garlic-cheese toasts and you have yourself a great meal.
Key to this meal
To make sure this soup is extra creamy pay close attention to the blending steps. When you add cheeses & blend soup make sure you do it off heat. Add mascarpone and half of the grated cheddar in large pinches, stirring until melted before adding more. Using an immersion blender or regular blender, purée the soup until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm until ready to serve.
How to make your garlic bread extra special for you Broccoli Cheddar soup
So if you feel like you want to add a little something special to your garlic bread. Here is a quick recipe for you to make a garlic butter. You will need 4 ingredients, 1/2 cup softened Butter, 1 tsp Garlic Powder, 1/4 tsp Onion Powder and 1/2 tsp Dried Parsley.
Mix together ingredients until well blended Spread on top of sliced bread (I used Ciabatta) Broil on low until browned, and there you have it a nice garlic butter spread.
Mourvèdre is the perfect wine to go with this Broccoli Cheddar Soup.
Body and Tannins: soft tannins, medium-light body
Mourvèdre is a red wine grape variety grown in many regions around the world. Including the Rhône and Provence regions of France, the Valencia and Jumilla denominaciones de origen of Spain.
Pairs Well With These Foods: mushrooms, roasted vegetables, earthy flavors, butter, manchego
Broccoli Cheddar Soup with Peas & Garlicky Ciabatta
- 1 medium yellow onion
- garlic use 2 large cloves
- 1⁄2 lb broccoli
- 4 oz sharp cheddar
- 1 pkt vegetable broth concentrate
- 5 oz peas
- 3 oz mascarpone
- 2 ciabatta rolls
- kosher salt & ground pepper
- olive oil
- Prep ingredients: Peel and finely chop 11⁄2 cups onion. Peel and finely chop 2 teaspoons garlic. Coarsely chop broccoli. Coarsely grate cheddar on the large holes of a box grater.
- Sauté vegetables: In a medium pot, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high until shimmering. Add onions, broccoli, 11⁄2 teaspoons of the garlic, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until broccoli is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth: When broccoli is crisp-tender, stir in broth concentrate and 2 1⁄2 cups water. Cover and bring to a boil. Uncover and cook over medium until liquid reduces slightly and broccoli is very tender, about 4 minutes. Add peas and cook, about 1 minute more. Remove from heat.
- Add cheeses & blend soup: Off heat, add mascarpone and half of the grated cheddar in large pinches, stirring until melted before adding more. Using an immersion blender or regular blender, purée the soup until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm until ready to serve.
- Prep ciabatta: Preheat broiler with a rack in the upper third. Split ciabatta rolls. Brush generously on both sides with oil. Place on a rimmed baking sheet, cut side-down. In a small bowl, combine remaining cheese and garlic with a pinch each salt and pepper.
- Broil ciabatta & serve: Broil ciabatta until lightly browned on first side, 1–2 minutes (watch closely as ovens vary). Flip and top with cheese- garlic mixture. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbling, 1–2 minutes more (watch closely). Halve each slice diagonally. Serve soup garnished with a drizzle of olive oil and a few grinds pepper with ciabatta alongside.
Milk and Wheat. May contain traces of other allergens. Packaged in a facility that packages gluten containing products.