Chimichangas are a great name for a food. It’s a close cousin of the burrito. You might ask what’s the difference between burritos and chimichangas. Well chimichanga are deep fried; and burritos are not.
This is a vegetarian version of a chimichanga. It is full of sweet corn, protein-rich black beans, taco seasoning, scallions, and melted cheddar cheese. A fresh pico de gallo salsa, full of fresh tomatoes, garlic, scallions, and tangy fresh lime juice. Served alongside to cut through the richness of the crispy fried flour tortilla. The staple of this meal is the black bean. It’s a great source of fiber, potassium, folate, vitamin B6, and phytonutrient. And if you are a vegetarian this is a great substitute for meat.
Also there are many health benefits to black beans that meat does not have. For example it’s low in cholesterol, great for heart health. The fiber helps lower the total amount of cholesterol in the blood and decrease the risk of heart disease. Another great thing about black beans is that they are good for bone density.
The iron, phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, and zinc in black beans all contribute to building and sustaining bone structure and strength. Calcium and phosphorus are key ingredients to have strong bone structure. The iron and zinc are a key in maintaining the strength and elasticity of your joints.
Wine pairing for burritos
Body and Tannins: medium to full-bodied, tannicMalbec is a purple grape variety used in making red wine. The grapes tend to have an inky dark color and robust tannins, and are known as one of the six grapes allowed in the blend of red Bordeaux wine.
Pairs Well With These Foods: Cajun flavors, barbecue sauce, baked potatoes, black pepper, asiago.
Black Bean & Corn Chimichanga with Pico de Gallo & Sour Cream
- Box grater
- medium skillet
- 2 pkts sour cream
- 6 8-inch flour tortillas (use 4)
- garlic use 1 large clove
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 5 oz corn
- 1 can black beans
- taco seasoning use 2¼ tsp
- 1 lime
- 3 ¾ oz pieces sharp cheddar
- 3 oz scallions
- neutral oil
- kosher salt & ground pepper
- Prep ingredients: Trim scallions, then thinly slice, keeping dark greens separate. Coarsely grate all of the cheddar on the large holes of a box grater. Squeeze 1 tablespoon lime juice into a medium bowl.
- Cook aromatics: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over medium-high. Add scallion whites and light greens and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add 2¼ teaspoons taco seasoning and cook, stirring, about 30 seconds.
- Add beans & corn: Add beans and their liquid. Bring to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and liquid is evaporated, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in corn and all but 2 tablespoons of the scallion dark greens (reserve rest for step 4). Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Make pico de gallo: Chop tomatoes into ½-inch pieces. Peel and finely grate 1 large garlic clove. To the bowl with the lime juice, add tomatoes, garlic and reserved scallion dark greens. Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Fill chimichangas: Place 4 of the tortillas on a work surface (save rest for own use). Divide bean mixture evenly among tortillas and spread to a 5-inch square in the center of each. Top with cheese, then fold in sides of each tortilla and tightly roll up into a cylinder, like a burrito. Rinse and dry skillet. Heat ⅛ inch oil in same skillet over medium-high until shimmering.
- Fry chimichangas & serve: Add chimichangas to oil, seam side down. Immediately reduce heat and fry over medium, turning occasionally, until browned all over, 5–7 minutes. If seam comes apart after turning, position rolls close enough so they help each other stay closed. Transfer, seam side down, to a paper towel. Halve chimichangas and serve with pico de gallo and sour cream.
Milk and Wheat. May contain traces of other allergens. Packaged in a facility that packages gluten containing products.
Related items you might like
- WHITE BEAN ZUCCHINI FRITTERS WITH CHIVE MAYO
- FETTUCCINE ALFREDO WITH BREADCRUMBS & ZUCCHINI SALAD
- BROCCOLI BLACK OLIVE PIZZA WITH CHERRY TOMATO SAUCE WINE PAIRING
- CRISPY CHICKPEAS & QUINOA SALAD WITH DRIED CHERRIES & GOAT CHEESE