Fish tacos remind me of sitting on the beach, basking in the sun’s rays, and sipping a lovely margarita. That thought alone conjure up a warm and fuzzy feeling for this dish! After a shake-up in panko breadcrumbs, pollock fillets get pan-fried and crispy, then layered in corn tortillas with citrus cabbage slaw, and served alongside meaty sweet potato fries. Yum
3 Tequilas under $30 that go great with your Fish Tacos
Olmeca Altos Plata Tequila
This brand started in the UK, and eventually made its way to the USA. Created by a pair of well-known bartenders, it was designed for use in cocktails, and it also tastes great straight, all while not breaking the bank. Just an FYI Tequila is more expensive in Europe than it is in the USA. During the 2014 Tequila Challenge mager blind tasting events, Olmeca Altos Plata received the overall highest scores in San Francisco. In Seattle, Olmeca Altos Reposado was the second highest scoring tequila out of six, and every other tequila in consideration was at least double the price. You can’t beat those results. You can find Olmeca Altos Plata and Reposado for around $25 for a 750ml bottle.
Milagro Silver Blanco Tequila (Blanco)
Milagro Blanco tequila is a solid, affordable and tasty, 100% agave tequila that does well both in tequila cocktails and on the rocks. It’s complex for an un-aged spirit, that has grassy, herbal notes and a smooth, clean finish. It cost roughly $27 a bottle,its flavor punches above its weight and can stand alongside much more expensive products.
El Jimador Blanco: Blanco Tequila (Blanco)
This tequila is not fancy, but El Jimador Blanco is an inexpensive, 100% agave tequila that outshines any of its more expensive competitors at a higher price point. This is a good go-to house bottle for mixing that doesn’t require you to settle for something mediocre. It’s smooth, straightforward, and at just $15 a bottle you’re not going to feel bad about that price point.
Fried Fish Tacos with Tangy Slaw & Sweet Potato Fries
- rimmed baking sheet
- large heavy skillet
- 10 oz sweet potato
- 1 lime
- 4 oz shredded cabbage
- 2 packets sour cream
- 2 packets hot sauce
- 12 oz pollock fillets
- 2 oz panko breadcrumbs
- 6 (6-incwhite corn tortillas
- 1⁄4 oz fresh cilantro
- What you need
- neutral oil such as vegetable or safflower
- coarse kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- Roast sweet potato: Preheat the oven to 450°Cut sweet potato into 1⁄2-inch wedges. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss with 1 tablespoon oil and a pinch each salt and pepper. Roast until browned in spots and tender, about 25 minutes.
- Make slaw & crema: Juice half of the lime, cut remaining half into wedges. In a medium bowl, combine cabbage blend with 1 packet sour cream, lime juice, 1 teaspoon sugar, and a pinch each salt and pepper. Use your hands to squeeze several times to soften; then let sit until step Combine remaining sour cream with 1 packet hot sauce, save remaining hot sauce for step 6.
- Prep fish: Press out excess water and pat fish dry. Cut into 3⁄4-inch by 2-inch strips. Place 1⁄4 cup flour into a sealable bag and season with salt and pepper. Beat egg with 2 tablespoons water in a shallow bowl. Put panko in another large sealable bag and season with salt and pepper.
- Bread fish: Place fish in bag with flour, seal and shake to coat. Add to beaten egg and turn to coat. Lift each piece out, allowing excess egg to drip off and transfer to bag with panko. Seal and shake to coat. Transfer fish to a plate, pressing to help panko adhere.
- Fry fish: Heat 1⁄4-inch oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high. Add fish in a single layer and cook, turning occasionally, until golden, 3–5 minutes. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate. (If you don't have a gas oven, pour off oil and wipe out skillet to use in next step.)
- Assemble tacos: Meanwhile, toast tortillas over a gas flame or in same skillet over medium-high heat until lightly charred, 10 seconds per side, wrap in foil and heat in oven for 2-3 minutes. Unwrap, fill with fish, slaw, cilantro, and drizzle with crema. Serve lime wedges, sweet potato fries, extra crema, and hot sauce alongside. Enjoy!
Fish (1), Wheat (2), Milk (3), Soy (4). May contain traces of other allergens. Packaged in a facility that packages gluten containing products. Nutrition per serving
Calories 800kcal, Fat 33.0g, Proteins 35.0g, Carbs 89.0g