Café au lait is French for “coffee with milk.” As suggested by the name, this drink is straight-forward and, therefore, a great place to start to create your own drinks at home. Traditionally, café au lait consists of equal parts brewed coffee and steamed milk. To get the most traditional café au laitpossible, use a dark-roast bean and a French press for brewing the coffee. This is a popular breakfast beverage, typically served in a wide-rimmed bowl, although a large mug will work just fine. If you want to be just like the French, enjoy this delicious beverage with a toasted croissant.
Café au lait
- Coffee brewing device of choice (French press recommended)
- 6 ounces milk whole milk works best
- 6 ounces freshly brewed dark roast coffee
- Place the milk in a microwave-safe container and heat on high power for about 30 seconds
- until it is very hot but not boiling. Alternatively, heat the milk in a small saucepan over medium
- heat for about 5 minutes until very hot but not boiling, watching it carefully. Do not boil the milk!
- Combine the coffee and steamed milk in a large mug.