Skillet Chicken Pot Pie with Black Pepper-Thyme Biscuits: This one pan wonder is a great spin on the ultimate classic comfort food, chicken pot pie. This recipe has all the elements you will love, sweet green peas, celery, onion, creamy sauce, and of course chicken. Topped with fluffy black pepper-thyme biscuits, and you have yourself an amazing meal.
Brief History of Chicken Pot Pie:
A pot pie is a type of meat pie with a top pie crust, sometimes a bottom pie crust, consisting of flaky pastry.
Pot pie is believed to have originated in Greece. The Greeks cooked meats mixed with other ingredients in open pastry shells, and these were called Artocreas. The Romans took this recipe and added a top to the pastry crust, making it a fully enclosed meat pie.
Skillet Chicken Pot Pie with Black Pepper-Thyme Biscuits
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery
- 1⁄4 oz fresh thyme
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3.2 oz self-rising flour 1
- 1 pkt chicken broth
- 2 oz peas
- kosher salt & ground pepper
- olive oil
- Prep ingredients: Preheat oven to 450°F with a rack in upper 1⁄3. Peel and finely chop onion. Trim ends from carrots and celery; thinly slice. Tie remaining thyme leaves into a bundle using one of the thyme stems as twine.
- Brown chicken: Pat chicken dry, trim any fat, and cut into 1-inch pieces. Season chicken with 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, and several grinds of pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over medium-high. Add chicken in a single layer and cook, without stirring, until well browned, about 3 minutes. Flip and brown on other side, about 2 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Cook vegetables: Add 1 tablespoon oil to same skillet over medium-high. Add carrot, onion, celery, thyme sprigs, and 1⁄2 teaspoon salt. Cook, covered, until vegetables are softened, about 3 minutes. Uncover and cook until vegetables are tender and browned, 2-3 minutes more. Add 2 tablespoons of the flour (save rest for step 5) and cook, stirring, about 1 minute.
- Simmer stew: Return chicken and any accumulated juices to skillet along with 1⁄2 cup milk, chicken broth concentrate, and 1 cup water, scraping browned bits from bottom of skillet. Bring to a simmer. then remove skillet from heat, remove thyme sprigs, then stir in peas.
- Make biscuits: In a medium bowl, combine 1⁄3 cup milk, 2 tablespoons oil, chopped thyme, 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, and 1⁄2 teaspoon salt.Add remaining flour to bowl and stir just until evenly combined. Do not over mix.
- Cook biscuits & serve: Dollop 10-12 level tablespoons of dough over stew. Transfer skillet to the upper oven rack and bake until lightly browned, 10-12 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.