Do you want to try the best food that New York has to offer? Then you need to check out this guide to the 5 foods that New York is known for! These dishes are iconic and will give you a true taste of what this amazing city has to offer.
So, without further ado, here are the five foods you need to try when you’re in New York City:
Of course, pizza is one of the first things that comes to mind when you think about New York food. And for good reason! New York-style pizza is thin and crispy, with a delicious sauce and lots of mozzarella cheese. If you’re looking for a classic New York dish, you can’t go wrong with pizza.
- Joe’s Pizza -West Village locals have depended on this counter-service pizzeria for quick slices since 1975.
- Vezzo NYC Thin Crust Pizza – Gourmet thin-crust pizzas with special house toppings, plus a wine bar, brunch & delivery.
- Sottocasa – ocated in the heart and soul of New York City—Sottocasa Harlem is owned and operated by husband and wife duo, Elena and Matteo. With a passion and love for pizza stemming back to their native Italy, Harlem now has it’s own Napoli serving up authentic Neapolitan pizza and amore!
Another iconic New York dish is the hot dog. This simple but delicious snack can be found all over the city, and there are plenty of variations to choose from. From classic hot dogs with ketchup, mustard, and relish to more creative options like chili dogs or bacon-wrapped dogs, there’s something for everyone.
- New York Hot Dogs – We have the BEST Hot Dogs in NYC! We are located at 5th Avenue & 82nd Street in NYC
- Crif Dogs – DON’T GET OFF YOUR COUCH. GET CRIF DELIVERED.
- Kings of Kobe – Happy Hour: Sunday to Friday 3PM to 7PM
Bagels are a New York staple, and there’s no better place to get them than at a local bagel shop. These chewy, doughy treats come in all sorts of flavors and can be topped with anything from cream cheese to salmon. If you’re looking for a quick and easy breakfast or snack, bagels are the way to go.
- Best Bagel & Coffee – Straightforward, neighborhood outpost for grab-&-go bagels, sandwiches & java drinks.
- BO’s Bagels – Place for handmade bagels, spreads & deli items by a couple who began their business as a stand.
- Bagels & Schmear – Sandwiches, salads, breakfasts & baked goods round out the menu at this standard NYC bagelry.
New York is home to some of the best delis in the country, and pastrami is one of the most popular items on the menu. This cured beef is usually served on rye bread with pickles and mustard, and it’s absolutely delicious. If you’re looking for a hearty meal, be sure to try some New York-style pastrami.
- Katz’s Delicatessen – No-frills deli with theatrically cranky service serving mile-high sandwiches since 1888.
- Rupert Jee’s Hello Deli -Local deli, featured on “The Late Show with David Letterman,” selling sandwiches, salads & more.
- USA Brooklyn Delicatessen – Hot sandwiches & comfort food dished up in an establishment with a laid-back ambiance.
Coney Island Hot Dog
Finally, no list of New York food would be complete without the Coney Island hot dog. This famous frankfurter is served with a spicy chili sauce and onions, and it’s a must-try for any first-time visitor to the city. Head to Coney Island for the best experience, but you can find these hot dogs all over New York.
- Nathan’s Famous – Brooklyn-born fast-food chain offering signature hot dogs, fries, burgers & more.
- Dixie BBQ
- Noshi’s Coney Island
So, what are you waiting for? Start planning your New York food tour now! These five dishes will give you a taste of the best that New York has to offer. Enjoy!