This dish is delivering your favorite takeout dish, but we’ve made it even better. You’ll get the same great sesame chicken taste, but with none of the deep frying or overly thick or sweet sauce. And if you follow these 3 easy tips on frying chicken you will have the perfect meal.
The key to this meal:
The heart of this meal is Breading the chicken this if you do this right you will get nice crispy chicken. Beat 1 large egg in a shallow bowl; season with salt and pepper. In a second shallow bowl, whisk 1⁄2 cup flour with 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds pepper the ratio is very important. Coat chicken in flour, then egg. Lift chicken, letting excess egg drip back into bowl, and repeat in flour, tossing to coat. They call this technique double dipping, it adds that extra crisp to the chicken.
Tips for frying chicken
Frying Fridge-Cold Chicken: Do not do it Stop! Don’t even start breeding. chicken straight from the fridge is not ready for frying. The temperature of the oil will drop and your chicken won’t cook evenly (plus, you can forget about crispy skin). Instead, let the meat sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. And then you can start the process of breading and frying.
Do not use Oil with a Low Smoke point for example Extra-virgin olive oil sure is tasty, but don’t use it on your fried chicken. Not only is it a waste of money given the volume you’ll use, it’ll result in a bitter-tasting chicken due to its low smoke point. Go for a neutral oil with a high smoke point, like canola, vegetable, or peanut oil.
No paper towels: This is a simple finish step everyone does that you shouldn’t let the Chicken Cool on Paper Towels. Paper towels soak up excess fat, but they’re not your friend here. “Letting anything that’s been fried sit on paper towel will make the bottom side soggy, because it will start to steam,”. Instead, drain your chicken on a wire rack set over a baking sheet. They’ll cool, crisp, and dry off all at once. Let the chick rest, relax, have a beer or a glass of wine, plan for about 10 minutes; the crust may feel cool to the touch.
Prosecco and Fried Chicken
It is generally believed that the sweet Italian sparkling white wines, like Prosecco, should be paired with sweet dishes like dessert. A better idea is to pair this bubbly drink with the opposite flavor like a savory fried chicken. American standards like fried chicken, provide the perfect complement to Prosecco’s crispy, citrusy sweetness. The savory flavor of battered coating is enhanced by the acidity and effervescence of this sweet wine.
- 1 oz fresh ginger
- 1 oz scallions
- 1⁄2 lb broccoli
- 12 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 5 oz jasmine rice
- 4 oz Thai sweet chili sauce
- 1 oz tamari or soy
- toasted sesame seeds
- kosher salt & ground pepper
- neutral oil such as vegetable
- 1 large egg
- all-purpose flour
- Prep ingredients: Peel and finely chop 11⁄2 tablespoons ginger (save rest for own use). Trim ends from scallions, then thinly slice. Cut broccoli into florets, then thinly slice crosswise into 1⁄4-inch pieces. Pat chicken dry and cut into 1-inch pieces. Season chicken all over with salt and pepper.
- Make broccoli rice: Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a small saucepan over medium-high. Add rice, ginger, and half of the scallions; cook, stirring, until toasted, about 2 minutes. Stir in broccoli, 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, and 11⁄4 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until water is absorbed and rice is tender, about 17 minutes. Keep covered until ready to serve.
- Bread chicken: Beat 1 large egg in a shallow bowl; season with salt and pepper. In a second shallow bowl, whisk 1⁄2 cup flour with 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds pepper. Coat chicken in flour, then egg. Lift chicken, letting excess egg drip back into bowl, and repeat in flour, tossing to coat.
- Fry chicken: Heat 1⁄2-inch oil in a large skillet over medium-high. When oil is hot, add chicken (it should sizzle vigorously), and cook, turning once, until golden and crisp, about 3–4 minutes per side. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Prep sauce: Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine Thai sweet chili sauce and all of the tamari.
- Finish & serve: Add chicken to bowl with sauce and toss to coat. Fluff rice with a fork. Serve chicken on or next to broccoli rice, and top with sesame seeds and remaining scallions.