Black bean-garlic sauce is used in Chinese cooking. The thick, dark brown paste is made from fermented beans, garlic, and a variety of tasty seasonings. Add them all together, they create a rich, umami-packed sauce that has a ton of flavor. Boneless chicken breasts, rice noodles, and Chinese broccoli is the key to a great Black Bean Caramel Chicken with Rice Noodles recipe.
Key to this meal
The key to this meal is the caramel sauce. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the same skillet over medium-high. Add chopped garlic, ginger, and sliced scallions. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring, until fragrant. Transfer to a bowl.
In the same skillet, combine ¼ cup sugar and 2 tablespoons water and stir. Cook the sauce, no stirring, over medium-high until sugar is melted. Continue to cook, swirling the skillet, until sugar becomes honey-colored. Taking 2 to 5 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons black-bean garlic sauce and ¾ cup water. Swirl to combine caramel may harden, but will melt over heat. Place in a bowl.
Bring sauce to a simmer, then add garlic, scallion, and ginger mixture to skillet. Continue to simmer until the sauce is thickened and glossy, about 3 minutes more.
Tips for cooking chicken
Marinate or brine your chicken: If you are looking for really juicy chicken, marinate or brine the chicken before cooking. Marinades and brine solutions are really easy to make at home.
Chicken breasts should not be thicker than 1-inch, max. If your chicken breasts are thick, use a meat mallet or rolling pin to pound the chicken to a smaller and even thickness BEFORE cooking.
Wine pairing for Black Bean Caramel Chicken with Rice Noodles
Chicken goes great with a lighter-bodied Pinot Noir because it tends to be more acidic; Not overwhelmed by the chicken flavors and washes it down just right.
Pinot noir is a red wine grape variety of the species Vitis vinifera. The name may also refer to wines created predominantly from Pinot noir grapes. The name is French word for pine and black. As a go to rule the lighter the meat, the lighter the wine.
Black Bean Caramel Chicken with Rice Noodles
- large pot
- large skillet
- 2 pkts Sriracha
- 7 oz pkg stir-fry noodles
- 2 oz black bean sauce use 2 Tbsp
- 12 oz pkg boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ oz fresh cilantro
- ½ lb Chinese broccoli
- 1 bunch scallions
- 1 oz fresh ginger
- garlic use 2 large cloves
- ¼ cup sugar
- neutral oil
- kosher salt & ground pepper
- Prep ingredients: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Peel and finely chop 2 teaspoons of garlic. Peel and finely chop 1 tablespoon ginger. Trim scallions, then thinly slice. Slice Chinese broccoli crosswise into 1-inch pieces. Coarsely chop cilantro leaves and stems together. Pat chicken dry, then cut into 1-inch pieces; season with salt and pepper.
- Cook chicken & broccoli: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add chicken and cook, without stirring, until well browned on one side, about 3 minutes. Add Chinese broccoli and cook, stirring chicken and broccoli occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and broccoli is crisp-tender, 2–3 minutes more. Transfer to a plate. Wipe out the skillet.
- Cook aromatics: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the same skillet over medium-high. Add chopped garlic and ginger, and sliced scallions. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1–2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Make caramel sauce: In the same skillet, stir to combine ¼ cup sugar and 2 tablespoons water. Cook, without stirring, over medium-high until sugar is melted. Continue to cook, swirling the skillet, until sugar becomes honey-colored, 2–5 minutes (watch closely). Add 2 tablespoons black-bean garlic sauce and ¾ cup water; swirl (don’t stir) to combine (caramel may harden, but will melt over heat).
- Simmer sauce: Bring sauce to a simmer, then add garlic, scallion, and ginger mixture to skillet. Continue to simmer until the sauce is slightly thickened and glossy, about 3 minutes more. Meanwhile, add noodles to boiling water, cook, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until just tender, 6-8 minutes. Drain noodles and rinse under warm water
- Finish & serve: Add noodles, chicken, and Chinese broccoli to caramel sauce. Cook over high heat, tossing constantly to combine, until noodles have absorbed most of the sauce and chicken is heated through, about 3 minutes. Serve noodles topped with cilantro and a drizzle of Sriracha, if desired.
Calories 820kcal, Fat 23.0g, Proteins 47.0g, Carbs 111.0g
Wheat and Soy. May contain traces of other allergens. Packaged in a facility that packages gluten containing products.
You may also like these reicipes
Please follow us on pinterest