BBQ Spice Rubbed Chicken with Corn-Tomato Sauté: Everyone loves a tasty BBQ sauce, but a lot of the time, most of the processed sauce is filled with unhealthy amounts of sugar.
This recipe provides a healthy alternative that taste just as good and all it takes is a little BBQ spice rub, olive oil, and pepper.
The final result is a healthier BBQ chicken recipe, paired with a fresh corn and tomato sauté and enriched with a creamy, tangy sauce over the BBQ chicken.
It you don’t have a BBQ spice rub you can make your own. Mix brown sugar, paprika, black pepper, salt, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper in a bowl.
BBQ Spice Rubbed Chicken with Corn-Tomato Sauté
- 2 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts
- BBQ spice
- 1 large clove garlic
- 2 ears of corn
- 2 scallions
- 1 bunch of basil
- 1 oz sour cream
- 1 ⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- small bunch of grape tomatoes
- olive oil
- freshly ground pepper
- coarse kosher salt
- Marinate chicken: Pat chicken dry, and pound chicken to an even 1⁄2-inch thickness. In a bowl, combine BBQ spice, 2 teaspoons each olive oil and water, and a few grinds of black pepper. Add chicken to bowl, tossing gently to coat.
- Prep ingredients: Peel and finely chop 1 large garlic clove. Shuck corn, then cut kernels from cobs, then thinly slice scallions. Pick basil leaves from stems and thinly slice leaves.
- Season sour cream: In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoon sour cream, 1 tablespoon of water and olive oil, and 1⁄4 teaspoon each cider vinegar, chopped garlic, and salt. Whisk until smooth. Season with black pepper.
- Cook corn & tomatoes: Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in heavy skillet over medium-high. Add tomatoes; cook until brown, about 3–4 minutes, crushing gently with a spoon to release juices. Add corn, remaining chopped garlic, and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Cook, until corn is tender, about 3–4 minutes. Season with 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Cook chicken: Transfer corn and tomato mixture to a medium bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken. Cook for 3–4 minutes per side, until golden-brown. Transfer chicken to plates.
- Finish & serve: Into the corn-tomato sauté, add basil, 2 teaspoons of vinegar and olive oil and 2⁄3 of the scallions. Serve chicken topped with sour cream sauce alongside of the corn-tomato sauté. Garnish with remaining scallions.