These are the healthiest cakes you’re ever gonna eat! Tender sweet potato and protein-rich quinoa are mashed together to make a delectable veggie cake. Coated in crispy panko breadcrumbs and lightly pan fried, the cakes form a crunchy, golden-brown crust. Sliced red onion is sautéed with sliced Brussels sprouts and a splash of vinegar to round out a vitamin-rich meal!
Quinoa–Sweet Potato Cakes with Garlicky Brussels Sprouts
- rimmed baking sheet
- medium saucepan
- large skillet
- dijon mustard
- brussels sprouts
- red onion
- white quinoa
- white wine vinegar
- sweet potato
- freshly ground pepper
- coarse salt
- 1 large egg
- Cook quinoa & potatoes: Peel sweet potatoes, then cut into 1-inch pieces. Place quinoa in a small saucepan; add sweet potatoes, 1¼ cups water, and ½ teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until quinoa and sweet potatoes are tender and liquid is absorbed, about 17 minutes. Coarsely mash and spread on a plate to cool slightly.
- Prep ingredients: Preheat the oven to 250°F. Trim ends from onion, then halve, peel and finely chop ½ cup; thinly slice the rest. Peel and thinly slice 1 large clove garlic. Holding core ends of Brussels sprouts, thinly slice crosswise and discard core ends. Squeeze a few times with your hands to separate leaves slightly.
- Make cakes: Beat 1 large egg in a medium bowl; add chopped onion, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, quinoa-sweet potato mixture, and ½ cup of the panko, and stir to combine. Put remaining panko onto a plate and season with salt. Form the mixture into 4 cakes, each about 3-inches wide. Coat in panko.
- Fry cakes: Heat ⅛-inch oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add cakes and cook, turning once, until golden and crisp, 6–8 minutes. Drain on a paper towel lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt. Transfer to the oven to keep warm. Pour off oil and wipe out skillet.
- Make sauce: In a small bowl, whisk mustard with sour cream, 1 teaspoon vinegar, and 1 teaspoon water. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sauté Brussels sprouts: Heat 1 tablespoon oil over high. Add sliced onion and cook until golden, about 4 minutes. Add Brussels sprouts, garlic, salt and pepper to taste, cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add remaining vinegar and ¼ cup water, cover, and cook 1 minute. Place quinoa-sweet potato cakes on plates, with Brussels sprouts and sauce served alongside for dipping
Calories 684kcal, Fat 41.0g, Proteins 14.2g, Carbs 69.3g ALLERGENS
Sulphites. May contain traces of other allergens. Packaged in a facility that packages gluten containing products.